ON THIS DAY… 10 AUG 1994
PAGE AND PLANT PERFORM IN J’MA EL FNA, MARRAKECH
On this day in 1994, Robert Plant and I appeared in the J’ma El Fna, Marrakech. This was a fascinating experience to be playing what indeed was a medieval market. Robert and I performed a song entitled ‘Yalla’, later to be re-titled ‘The Truth Explodes’ and it was performed with a percussion loop that had been originally supplied to Robert by Martin Massonier. However, the loop was now slowed down in tempo and had my electric guitar riff and Robert’s vocals ricocheting through the stalls, the walls and the souk. The audience appeared quite shocked at this spectacle and I remember at one point one of the PA speakers disappearing off into the audience, probably to be sold round the corner, and had to be hastily retrieved!
This had been such a profound experience being able to play music in a place that I had visited and enjoyed many times in the past and appreciated the musicians, acrobats, readers and writers of letters, astrologers, snake charmers, storytellers, jugglers and chefs of fine food, the fumes of which add to the ambience of this magical place.
- theresagirloutthere likes this
- jimmypage-onthisday reblogged this from jpotdbackup
- jpotdbackup reblogged this from jimmypage-onthisday
- the-stairway-to-jimmy-page likes this
- andflowersinherhair likes this
- scumbag-bluess reblogged this from thrustonmoore
- winds-and-waters likes this
- crescentlips likes this
- bongtrooper likes this
- good-time-boys likes this
- emily-ramone likes this
- jffbeck likes this